Posted By RichC on January 5, 2018
In order to improve efficiency on WordPress sites (my customer installs) I often experiment with updates on my personal MyDesultoryBlog first since very little on this site really matters for paying customers. So over the Christmas and New Years holidays I fiddled with a few highly recommended updates to the LAMP server and WordPress installs.
First I tried a couple different cache options and installed Cloudflare – they were not helping with speed even if they detected suspected hacking intrusion attempts. In any case I’m back to the existing DNS and Comet Cache.
Next was a return to the Accelerated Mobile Plug-ins (a couple different) which optimize both content and ads for mobile devices. Again as before, I remembered why I stopped using them: AMP optimization eliminates formatting, homepage links and content as well as much of the video, slideshow and contact form info. Neither the simple versions of AMP, Better AMP or the pay for more customizable version of AMP for WP could be tweaked to get the content to satisfy me on my iPhone or iPad.
So after all that, we’re back to square one and a non-optimized WP pages …which works fine the way I use it, but as content goes to mobile devices, AMP is something I’m going to have to embrace.